Thomas P. Russell Principal Investigator, Ph.D.
|Job||Principal Investigator, AIMR
Silvio O. Conte Distinguished Professor, Polymer Science and Engineering Department,
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Visiting Professor, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
|Group||Soft Materials Group|
|Address||Polymer Science and Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts
(120 Governors Drive, Amherst, MA 01003)
Materials Science Division, Rm.: 62-207, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
(One Cylclotron Road, Berkeley, CA 94703)
- surface and interfacial properties of polymers
- phase transitions in polymers
- directed self-assembly processes
- interfacial assembly of nanoparticles
- wrinkling and crumpling behavior of thin polymer films
Main Publication List
- M. Cui, T. Emrick and T.P. Russell, “Stabilizing Liquid Drops in Nonequilibrium Shapes by the Interfacial Jamming of Nanoparticles,” Science 342(6157), 460-463 (2013).
- X. Gu, I. Gunkel and T.P. Russell, “Block Copolymer Lithography: A “Bottom-Up” Approach to High-Density Pattern Transfer,” Philosophical Transactions A, 37 (2013).
- D. Wang, T.P. Russell, T. Nishi, K. Nakajima, “AFM Nanomechanics Visualizes Molecular Diffusion and Microstructure at an Interface,” ACS Macro Letters 2(8), 757-760 (2013).
- K. Toga, J. Huang, K. Cunningham, T.P. Russell and N. Menon, “A Drop on a Floating Sheet: Boundary Conditions, Topography and Formation of Wrinkles,” Soft Matter 9(34) 8289-8296 (2013).
- J.C. Brendel, F. Liu, A. Lang, T.P. Russell and M. Thelakkat, “Macroscopic Vertical Alignment of Microdomains in Thin Films of Semiconductor Amphiphilic Block Copolymers,” ACS Nano 7(7), 6069-6078 (2013).
- American Chemical Society Cooperative Research Award in Polymer Science and Engineering, 2003
- Dutch Polymer Award, 2004
- Polymer Physics Prize, Division of Polymer Physics, American Physical Society, 2004
- Fred Kavli Distinguished Lecturer, Materials Research Society, 2012
- Otto Warburg Prize, University of Bayreuth, October, 2012
- 11/19/2020 Media & Award Prof. Saitoh, Prof. Chen, Prof. Russell, Prof. Xue and Prof. Fujita selected as Highly Cited Researchers
- 07/28/2020 Media & Award Prof. Russell won the 2020 Clifford G. Shull Prize
- 07/27/2020 Research Highlights Soft-matter physics: Droplets hanging from a liquid surface
- 11/20/2019 Media & Award Prof. Saitoh, Prof. Chen, Prof. Russell and Prof. Xue selected as Highly Cited Researchers
- 09/30/2019 Research Highlights Magnetic materials: A magnet that can twist and turn
- 12/12/2018 Media & Award Prof. Russell elected as the National Academy of Inventors (NAI) Fellow
- 11/29/2018 Media & Award Prof. Saitoh, Prof. Chen, Prof. Russell, Prof. Xue and Dr. Takahashi selected as Highly Cited Researchers
- 10/29/2018 Research Highlights Colloidal nanocrystals: Mesostructured matter in a jam
- 06/25/2018 Research Highlights Soft-matter physics: 3D printing a liquid into a liquid
- 04/23/2018 Research Highlights Encapsulation: Wrapping up in a hurry
- 11/20/2017 Media & Award Prof. Saitoh, Prof. Russell and Prof. Khademhosseini selected as Highly Cited Researchers
- 12/13/2016 Media & Award Prof. Russell and Prof. Khademhosseini selected as Highly Cited Researchers
- 05/10/2016 Media & Award Prof. Russell received the SPSJ International Award
- 04/27/2012 Media & Award Professor T.P. Russell delivered the Fred Kavli Distinguished Lecture in Nanoscience at the 2012 MRS Spring Meeting.