The 24th AIMR Tea Time Talk (Prof. Tsukada’s Last Lecture at Tohoku University)
AIMR is organizing the last lecture of Prof. Tsukada who has made a huge contribution to the development of AIMR as a Principal Investigator for the first four years and as the Administrative Director for the next six years. After the lecture, a farewell party will be held. We look forward to the participation of everyone who shares memories with Prof. Tsukada.
Prof. Masaru Tsukada
(Specially-appointed Professor at Tohoku University,
Former Administrative Director of AIMR,
Professor emeritus of The University of Tokyo)
Looking back Happy Days at AIMR -Electrons and atoms in nano-structures-
April 27 (Fri.), 2018 16:00-17:00 (followed by a farewell party from 17:15)
Please click here to apply for participation in the farewell party.
Combination Room, 5th floor, AIMR Main Bldg.
I spent the first 4 years as PI and the next 6 years as Administrative Director at AIMR. In the latter period, I experienced various unprecedented challenges to establish the identity of AIMR, Math-Mate cooperation, under leadership of Kotani-sensei. Various happy memories will be recalled with all of nice researchers, and excellent administration staff at AIMR.
In the next part of my talk, I will focus on my ever continued research interest on behaviors of individual or collective electrons and atoms, observed and controlled at surfaces and nano-structures. We will start from the mechanism of various SPM (scanning probe microscopy, STM, AFM, KPFM,..): why they achieve atomic resolution by macroscopic devices as tips and cantilevers, even in liquids. The topics are followed by strange electron behaviors in topological structures as in graphene molecules, C60, CNT (Carbon Nanotubes) helix, CNT Donuts, CNT junctions, CNT caps.
Important effect of disclination (topological defect such as a 5-member ring in matrix of normal 6 member rings) will be discussed. A large loop current often appears in these systems as a common feature, which is very characteristic of quantum flow. This feature also appears in atom wires or molecular bridges between nano-electrodes, when coupling of electromagnetic environment with electron charge is not significant. If the coupling is enhanced, particle nature of electron tends to prevail, and conductance changes dramatically, from coherent (quantum wave) regime to particle like (single electron) regime showing Coulomb Blockade or Frank-Condon Blockade. Competition between wavelike and particle like nature will be discussed in various systems.
About Tea Time Talk
AIMR’s Tea Time Talk is a kind of seminar aiming to promote exchange between world’s eminent researchers and young researchers at AIMR, held in a relaxed atmosphere at AIMR’s Friday Tea Time. The following researchers from around the world have given talks at this event so far, and participants have enjoyed discussion over a cup of tea.
- 1st May 25, 2012 Prof. Thomas P. Russell (The University of Massachusetts Amherst, U.S.A.)
- 2nd July 6, 2012 Prof. Winfried Teizer (Texas A&M University, U.S.A.)
- 3rd Aug. 10, 2012 Prof. Alan Lindsay Greer (University of Cambridge, U.K.)
- 4th Aug. 17,2012 Prof. Alain Reza Yavari (Grenoble Institute of Technology, France)
- 5th Aug. 31, 2012 Prof. John H. Perepezko (University of Wisconsin-Madison, U.S.A.)
- 6th Jan. 18, 2013 Prof. Tomasz Dietl (Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland)
- 7th Apr. 12, 2013 Prof. Yiming Li (National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan)
- 8th June 28, 2013 Dr. Bjorn Mysen (Carnegie Institution, Carnegie Institution for Science, U.S.A.)
- 9th Oct. 1, 2013 Dr. Yuan T. Lee (Nobel laureate in Chemistry, Academia Sinica of Taiwan)
- 10th Nov. 19, 2013 Dr. Pawel Hawrylak (National Research Council Canada, Canada)
- 11th June 27, 2014 Prof. Michael B. Santos (The University of Oklahoma, U.S.A.)
- 12th June 26, 2015 Dr. B. Muralidharan (Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India)
- 13th May 13, 2016 Prof. Jean-Yves Cavaillé (ELyT MaX (Joint Lab at Tohoku University), University of Lyon, France)
- 14th June 17, 2016 Prof. Tomoteru Fukumura (AIMR, Tohoku University)
- 15th Sept. 30, 2016 Prof. C. Suryanarayana (University of Central Florida, U.S.A.)
- 16th Nov. 29, 2016 Dr. David Guy Austing (National Research Council Canada, Canada)
- 17th April 28, 2017 Prof. Ayumi Hirano (AIMR, Tohoku University)
- 18th June 23, 2017 Prof. Denis Arčon (Jožef Stefan Institute, Slovenia)
- 19th June 30, 2017 Dr. Takeshi Nakanishi (AIST-Tohoku U Mathematics for Advanced Materials Open Innovation Laboratory (MathAM-OIL))
- 20th July 7, 2017 Prof. Arun Bansil (Northeastern University)
- 21st July 21, 2017 Prof. Gael Sebald (INSA Lyon, France / ELyT MaX at Tohoku University)
- 22nd July 28, 2017 Prof. Nicolas Mary (INSA Lyon, France / ELyT MaX Lab at Tohoku University)
- 23rd Dec. 8, 2017 Prof. Prof. Jean-Yves Cavaillé (INSA Lyon, France / ELyT MaX Lab at Tohoku University)
Susumu Ikeda, Director, Research Support Division, AIMR
|Address :||2-1-1, Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980-8577|