The Advanced Institute for Materials Research Fund
The Advanced Institute for Materials Research (AIMR) at Tohoku University is one of nine World Premier International Research Centers Initiative (WPI) Program established with the support of the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) , aimed at developing world-class research bases in Japan. After its establishment in 2007, AIMR has been active in conducting research activities and creating new systems in order to become a global center for materials science. Since 2012, AIMR has also been conducting fundamental research by finding connections between materials science and mathematics. Through prediction, AIMR aims to formulate new scientific principles that can enable the development of materials. In order to ensure that the advanced materials that have been developed play a useful role in society, AIMR is also engaged in the development of devices and systems that make use of these materials. AIMR's mission is to contribute to the resolution of resource and environmental problems caused by human beings.
The main characteristics of AIMR are as follows:
- Collaboration between materials science and mathematics at the research institute level, which is the first such attempt in the world
- An international research environment with researchers comprising more than half around the world
- Comprehensive English language support, including for administrative procedures
- Provision of an ideal research environment in all areas, including research equipment and grants
In addition to WPI grants and operational expense grants, a range of funding sources, such as acquiring competitive funds and expanding internal revenue sources, are necessary in order to further develop our research. As part of these efforts, we have established the Advanced Institute for Materials Research Fund to secure your help in enhancing funding.
We thank you for your understanding and approval, and ask for your continuous cooperation and support under these circumstances.
Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University
Activities of the fund
In order to promote AIMR research, the fund will provide support for the following:
- To support integrated research in materials science
- To maintain the international research environment
- To support the development of international exchange
- For activities necessary for research
Donations are collected towards the Advanced Institute for Materials Research Fund, which are managed in accordance with the guidelines of the Tohoku University Administrative Regulation on Donations(Japanese).
A trust fund committee of AIMR is responsible for managing the fund.
Applying to make a donation
- Please use the university's designated application form.
- Please submit the application form to AIMR by mail.
- We will send you a transfer request form.
- Please make a wire transfer.
International Academic/Research Cooperation Section
International Relations Unit, AIMR, Tohoku University
2-1-1 Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980-8577 Japan
Phone: +81-22-217-5971/Fax: +81-22-217-5129
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org