Recruitment of an assistant professor or a specially appointed assistant professor at Non-equilibrium Materials Group, Advanced Institute for Materials Research (AIMR), Tohoku University
OverviewApplicants are invited for an assistant professor or a specially appointed assistant professor position for developing additively manufactured components for the next generation metal ion batteries using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printing. The position is affiliated to the AIMR’s non-equilibrium materials group and will be a part of Tohoku University’s Frontier Research in Duo project “Integration of structural & energy functionality through 3D printing and deep learning: Architectural design and device application of carbon microlattices ” (Project Manager: Akira Kudo, Project period: August 2021 to March 2026). The goal of the project is to develop the structurally and electrochemically optimized carbon microarchitectures by combining SLA 3D printing and deep learning-aided algorithm, which will improve the performance of structural batteries.
The focus of the position is fabrication and characterization of lithium, sodium and other ion battery components, in particular:
- Fabrication and structural characterization of digitally-architected electrode materials using SLA 3D printing.
- Chemically customizing the photopolymer resin used for SLA 3D printing.
- Measuring electrochemical performances of the metal ion batteries using the digitally-architected electrode materials.
The work will be carried out in close collaboration with our partners. The position will be expected to adapt and develop scientific skills, join international and interdisciplinary collaborations and present results in scientific journals and at academic conferences.
Applicants should hold, or be close to complete, a Ph.D. or an equivalent degree in materials science, materials engineering, chemistry or in a similar discipline and ideally have a strong background in electrochemistry of fabricating, testing and characterizing metal ion batteries. Previous experience of microfabrication using SLA 3D printing and of developing photopolymer resin will be an advantage but not be necessary from the beginning.
- AIMR official language is English. AIMR has supporting staff for researchers from abroad.
- Tohoku University promotes activities to increase Diversity, Equity and Inclusion(DEI) and encourages people of varied talents from all backgrounds to apply for positions at the university.
Tohoku University’s website about the DEI Declaration is here: http://tumug.tohoku.ac.jp/dei/
- Pursuant to Article 8 of the Act on Securing, Etc. of Equal Opportunity and Treatment between Men and Women in Employment, Tohoku University shall, as a measure for increasing the presence of women among the academic staff, prioritize the hiring of women deemed qualified for each job opening, based on impartial evaluation.
- Tohoku University has the largest on-campus childcare system of all Japanese national universities. This network comprises three nurseries: Kawauchi Keyaki Nursery school (capacity: 22) and Aobayama Midori Nursery school (116), both open to all university employees, as well as Hoshinoko Nursery school (120), which is open to employees working on Seiryo Campus. In addition, Tohoku University Hospital runs a childcare room for mildly ill and convalescent children which is available to all university employees.
- See the following website for information on these and other programs that Tohoku University runs to assist work-life balance, to support researchers, and to advance gender equality, including measures to promote childcare leave among male employees.
Tohoku University Center for Gender Equality Promotion website: http://www.tumug.tohoku.ac.jp/
Human Resources and Planning Department website: https://c.bureau.tohoku.ac.jp/jinji-top/external/a-4-kosodate/
|Position||Assistant professor or specially appointed assistant professor|
|Job type, rank, number||1 person|
|Term||Fixed-term appointment until March 2024, renewable based on evaluation (up to the end of March 2026)|
|Starting date||May 1, 2022 (negotiable)|
|Deadline for applications||Applications received by midday 12:00 (Japan Standard Time) on October 15th 2022 can be considered.|
* All documents must be written in English.
|Where to apply||Send the application materials (1) to (6) by email to email@example.com as a single PDF file.|
Assistant Prof. Akira Kudo
Advanced Institute for Materials Research(AIMR) , Tohoku University