Recruitment of Assistant Professors (Affiliation: Mathematical Science Group)
WPI Advanced Institute for Materials Research (AIMR) at Tohoku University invites applications for four assistant professor positions. Requisites are strong research interests in areas of mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics. Successful applicants are expected to be active and show exceptional potential for leadership in interdisciplinary collaborations between mathematics and other scientific areas.
AIMR was established on October 1st, 2007 as one of the top five research centers in Japan under the World Premier International Research Center Initiative (WPI Program) run by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. From 2017, it is sustained as a member of the Organization for Advanced Studies (OAS), Tohoku University.
AIMR aims to establish a new paradigm of material research fused with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering and Mathematics. AIMR’s ultimate objective is to discover new principles in materials science via collaborative interdisciplinary researches. Based on the discovered principles, AIMR aims to develop new innovative functional materials. One of the main characteristics of AIMR is the collaboration between materials science and mathematics at the research institute level, which is the first such attempt in the world. The progress at AIMR has been evaluated as "World Premier Status" by the WPI Program on February 2015.
For achieving this objective, AIMR sets up the three target projects:
1. Non-Equilibrium Materials based on Mathematical Dynamical Systems
2. Topological Functional Materials
3. Multi-scale Hierarchical Materials based on Discrete Geometric Analysis
* AIMR’s official language is English and AIMR has supporting staffs for those from abroad.
* Applications from, or nomination of, women and minority candidates are encouraged. AIMR is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
|Job type, rank, number||Four Assistant Professors|
|Starting date||July 1st in 2017, or earliest possible date|
|Deadline for applications||February 28th in 2017|
|Treatment||(1) Salary: Annual income system is employed according to the rules of Tohoku University.
(2) Term: Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract up to March 31st in 2019, then renewable based on achievements, but the total employment period does not exceed five years.
|Application materials||(1) CV (Including current address, telephone number and e-mail address)
(2) Publication list
(3) Outline of research accomplishments
(4) Research proposal at AIMR
(5) Two reference letters
(6) Three major papers
Application documents should be written in English. The files of the above documents (pdf) should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Or the printed-out documents should be sent via regular mail to the following address:
WPI Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, 2-1-1 Katahira, Aobaku, Sendai, 980-8577 Japan
WPI Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University
Address: 2-1-1 Katahira, Aobaku, Sendai, 980-8577 Japan